Thy Will Be Done
How can your community go further in their understanding of the welcoming relationship between the Bible and gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people? Thy Will Be Done follows Sara Herwig, a Male-to-Female transsexual and her dream of becoming an ordained Minister in the Presbyterian Church.
Call to Action
Fact: More than four out of 10 Americans say the message coming out of churches about gay people is negative, and about the same number say those messages contribute "a lot" to negative perceptions of gay and lesbian people.
Thy Will Be Done can help your religious community:
• Explore Scripture and how texts have been used to welcome and shut out issues of difference.
• Create welcoming language toward people who have been marginalized due to intolerance into the liturgy, prayers and sermons of your church
• Form a committee to address issues of intolerance toward gay, lesbian and transgendered people within the local community.
Bookmark These Organizations: Auburn recommends Human Rights Campaign as a best practices website that tracks news on religion within the gay, lesbian and transgendered communities and Presbyterian Welcome to build a more welcoming Presbyterian Church.
Watch Thy Will Be Done and let this just be the beginning of an important discussion of the faithful relationship between being gay, lesbian and transgendered and religion.
To keep the Thy Will Be Done conversation going, Auburn recommends:
• Incorporating welcoming language into community prayers and liturgy. Here are examples of scripture and language to include in liturgy.
• Resource Scripture texts with attention given to how it can be a resource to the LGBT community. Click here for more.
• Purchasing this film for your community lending library by clicking here.
• Using guided discussion points to create an education program.
• Preaching on this important issue.
Thy Will Be Done,
Thy Will Be Done follows Male-to-Female Transsexual Sara Herwig in her path to ordination in the Presbyterian Church. Efforts have been made to block her ordination by the evangelical conservative groups who don't recognize her as female and question her fitness to be a Pastor, but who also challenge her candidacy because she is in a same-sex relationship, with a woman. At issue is the organized Christian Church, with all its political and financial power, as one of the fiercest battlegrounds for LGBT rights and gender recognition.
To order your copy of Thy Will Be Done click here.
To bring this film to your community for a screening click here.